Sunday, June 25, 2006

What Love Is


He was old and we waited together to have prescriptions filled at the Kroger pharmacy. It was a sad drizzly day. He asked for gelatin capsules of a certain size. His wife, he said couldn't swallow her medication. She was a cancer patient. So he crumbled her pills and carefully filled the gelatin capsules. Later, I couldn't get him out of my head. That's what love is, I thought. I didn't know him, so I filled in the details of what I imagined their life together to be like. Does anybody love anyone like that anymore. Does anybody love anyone at all? I watched The Notebook on cable tonight. The story was a lot like the one I wrote about the man at the pharmacy. Two elderly people whose love lasted. They finally die together because of course a love like that cannot endure the passing of one. I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I will never know what love is. For the longest time, this caused me much grief because I have a deep capacuty for love., the real kind.; the kind most people seem to be allergic to these days.

1 Comments:

At 9:49 AM , Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

:)I'm sure that it took time to get to the place that the elderly couple is in. It takes patience and forgiveness. It takes prayer and time spent. I hope that love surprises you one day and I hope that what you saw in the pharmacy is just a taste of what you will have in a mate. The exception is that your husband will be picking up something for your corns. lol :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home