Sunday, December 04, 2005

True Story


This happened a long time ago in Miami. There was a Jefferson's Department store on Biscayne and I was in there around Christmastime. I was looking in a jewelry case and I really hadn't noticed the man next to me. He asked me if I liked the watch I was looking at. I said "yeah, of course." It was a nice watch. Not gold encrusted with diamonds or anything; just a watch that I couldn't afford. And when you can't afford a popsicle it might as well be caviar, right. The man bought me that watch and said Merry Christmas. I never asked his name and he didn't ask mine. So what does this story mean. I really don't know. But I do know that I'm a lot older and nice things happen less and less in my life these days. For a long time, I waited for Christmas to roll around because it was the only time in the year that I felt like magic was possible, that just maybe a little magic would come my way. I don't sit around feeling sorry for myself. I even help it along. I decorate. I watch A Christmas Carol (the old version), I burn cinnamon candles and light the tree. I listen to Christmas carols. I wait and so far, no stranger. No watch. No magic.

1 Comments:

At 8:16 AM , Blogger Chamki said...

i live in india, with very little of christmas around me, but fortunately there is some decoration at christmas. Your story reminds me of this one time, when a man walked up to me and predicted my future, just an ordinary plain looking guy. He left and all thar he said has strangely come true.He didnt really guess things like ill pass my exams but deeper things. I guess there is magic.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home